AIMEE HECKEL* Boulder Daily Camera, Boulder, Colo.
Features writer, 1/06 - present
Fashion columnist and blogger, 1/05 - present
Fitness columnist, 1/08 - present
Acting entertainment editor, 1/12 - 5/12
General assignment reporter with emphasis on youth, 5/04 - 1/06
East Boulder County and night police reporter, 1/03 - 5/04
* MediaNews Group's Digital First IdeaLab team, nationwide
One of 25 employees nationwide chosen to help shape the future of journalism.
Mobile journalist and Modern Lois Lane blogger, 4/12 - present
* Shopathome.com's Online Shopping Report, nationwide (4.4 million Facebook fans)
Travel writer, 12/12 - present
Family writer, 05/12 - present
* Stark Beauty Magazine, Colorado
Associate editor, 1/12 - 12/12
* Women's Magazine, Colorado
Editor, 07/08 - 5/10
* Monarch High School , Louisville, Colo.
Part-time journalism adviser, 11/06 - 06/08
* Dirt, Boulder, Colo.
General assignment writer for five-day-a-week newspaper for 18-to 24-year-olds, 8/04 - 10/06
* Nine Magazine, Broomfield, Colo.
Board of directors, 9/05 - 5/06
* Loveland Daily Reporter-Herald, Loveland, Colo.
Education reporter, 3/01 - 1/03
Design editor, 12/00 - 3/01
Reporting intern, 5/97 - 8/97
* The Scene Magazine, Northern Colorado
Investigative reporter for entertainment magazine, 9/00 - 1/01
* Gamut's Northern Front, Colorado and Wyoming
Writer and marketing director for online arts magazine, now an online arts gallery, 1/01 - 6/01
* The Rocky Mountain Collegian, Fort Collins, Colo.
City/regional reporter for campus newspaper, 9/97 - 5/99
* The Edge, Fort Collins, Colo.
Entertainment reporter for campus newspaper, 9/97 - 5/98
* The Arrow Magazine, Fort Collins, Colo.
Chapter correspondent for national Pi Beta Phi magazine, 9/97 - 5/99
Work also appeared in:
Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
Scripps News Service
The Colorado Daily, Boulder, Colo.
Fort Collins Coloradoan, Fort Collins, Colo.
Longmont Daily Times-Call, Longmont, Colo.
The Broomfield Enterprise, Broomfield, Colo.
CBS Channel 4, Denver, Colo.
Colorado Editor of the Colorado Press Association
Dozens of other print and online publications and national magazines.
BOOK PUBLISHING EXPERIENCE
* Edited "The Gender Communication Handbook: Conquering Conversational Collisions Between Men and Women," published by Pfeiffer/ Wiley & Sons Inc., 2012.
* Featured in "Journalism of Ideas: Brainstorming, Developing, and Selling Stories in the Digital Age," by Daniel Reimold, scheduled to be published March 2013 by Routledge.
* Published in and co-edited "Fifty Shades of Funny: Hook-Ups, Break-Ups, and Crack-Ups," published November 2012.
* Edited "Aves: The Age of Engagement," published by CreateSpace, October 2012.
* Edited the book "Hit from behind," by Jim Heckel, published by Zulon Press, November 2008.
* Edited "Renegade Manager," by Paige Lawrence, publishing info TBD.
* Edited "DIY Style Workbook," by Marian Rothschild, publishing info TBD.
* Edited "The Ruby Stones: Beyond the Mist," by Cathie Brailey, publishing info TBD.
* Currently editing "Service Station Angel," by Lisa Schuster, publishing info TBD.
* Currently editing the book, "Red Dirt," by Jim Heckel, publishing info TBD.* Currently ghostwriting a memoir about marriage to a person with borderline personality disorder, publishing info TBD.
BLOG, SOCIAL MEDIA AND WEB EXPERIENCE
* Social media coordinator for Bar Method Colorado and Bar Method Boulder, 8/12 - present
* Blog writer and editor for Kelli's Blog, via Kelli Girl Friday, 05/12 - present
* Blog editor for Ellis Ranch Event Center's blog, Venues and Brides, 12/11 - present
* Blog editor and contributor for Vertical Fusion, 11/12 - 4/13
* Social media manager for K Michelle Collection, nationwide, 5/12 - 12/12
* Social media consulting for Baby Bean, 2011
* Social media and mobile journalism blogger and expert
Aves the Book: avesthebook.blogspot.com
American Junior Year in Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany (11/99 - 8/00)
Hometown America -- hometownamerica.com
Ram Electric LLC -- ramelectricllc.com
Surfbilly Tattoo -- surfbillytattoo.com
Think Humanity -- thinkhumanity.org
Bragg Automotive -- braggautomotive.com
Shades of Grei -- shadesofgrei.com
Other blogs I have started:
Boulder and the Beautiful: boulderandthebeautiful.blogspot.com
We Are Boulder County: wearebouldercounty.blogspot.com
I Have Tattoos: ihavetattoos.blogspot.com
Think Humanity promotional video
Disclosure: Why one man is talking about having HIV
Dozens of videos for the Daily Camera
Producer and camera for Colorado State University's distance learning shows with CSUN Television, Fort Collins, Colo., 8/00 - 12/01
OTHER EDITORIAL EXPERIENCE* On-call virtual editorial assistant for Kelli Girl Friday, 4/13 - present
* Personal editorial assistant for the Spa Travel Gal, 4/13 - present
EDUCATION* Colorado State University with BA in journalism and BA in German, graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 GPA, 2001
* Universität Heidelberg in Germany with concentration in international media, 4.0 GPA, 2000
AWARDSFirst place regional Digital First Media digital reporting for coverage of holiday lights, 2012
First place best series, Colorado Associated Press Reporters and Editors, 2006
First place for best humorous column writing, Colorado Press Association, 2010
First place feature story, Colorado Press Association, 2006
Thad Keyes award for series about Educate Africa, "The ripple effect," 2006
First place best verbal storytelling, Best of Scripps, 2005
First place news story, Colorado Press Association, 2004
Society of Professional Journalists Julie Galvan Outstanding Campus Member for top journalism graduate in the nation, 2001
Second place feature story, Colorado Associated Press Editors and Reporters, 2012, for "Vampires Among Us"
Second place feature story, Society of Professional Journalists Top of the Rockies, 2008
Second place personal column, Society of Professional Journalists Top of the Rockies, 2008
Second place news column, Colorado Associated Press Editors and Reporters, 2008
Second place humorous column, Colorado Press Association, 2005
Second place education writing, Society of Professional Journalists, 2004
Colorado State University Media Festival Cammy Grande' column writing, 2011, for Boulder and the Beautiful columns
Colorado State University Media Festival Cammy Original Newspaper Feature, 2011, for "The Final Chapter"
Third place for best humorous column writing, Colorado Press Association, 2012
Third place for feature story, Colorado Associated Press Editors and Reporters, 2010, for "The Final Chapter"
Third place online feature story for "The Lesson of the Needle," Society of Professional Journalists Top of the Rockies, 2008
Third place entertainment-feature writing, Denver Newspaper Guild/Denver Press Club, 2005
Third place education writing, Colorado Press Association, 2003
Third place feature writing. SPJ Mark of Excellence Awards, 2002
Honorable mention public service, Colorado Associated Press Reporters and Editors, 2006
Honorable mention for specialty reporting on new youth beat, Best of Scripps, 2004
Colorado State University’s Top Graduate in Journalism award, 2001 and 2002
Clyde E. Moffitt Memorial Award for outstanding journalism, 2000
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND FELLOWSHIPS:* Taught a journalism engagement workshop with Steve Buttry at the Denver Post, May 2013.
* Founder and member of the Northern Colorado New Journalism Collective, 2013.
* Taught mobile journalism workshop at the University of Colorado, 2012.
* Fellow at Casey Journalism Center on Children and Families 2005 conference, “Today’s Generation Gap.”
* Member of SPJ and former president, vice president, two times national delegate, publicity chair and webmaster for CSU’s chapter. Our chapter won the top student chapter in the nation under my guidance as president.
* Active alum and speaker for Colorado State University's annual Media Festival.
* Moderator for the Conference on World Affairs panel, "Drunk, Anorexic and Pregnant: Celebrity Heroes," 2008.
* Moderator for the Conference on World Affairs panel, "Raising This Generation's Children," 2011.
BEYOND MEDIA AND WRITINGI am fluent in German and a professional translator.
I serve on the board of directors for the nonprofit Think Humanity.
I volunteered with the Hurricane Katrina relief crews for six months.
REFERENCEKevin Kaufman, managing editor
Boulder Daily Camera
Brittany Anas, writer
Boulder Daily Camera/ShopAtHome.com